I’m a big fan of the muslin blankets because I live in a traditional warm area of the United States. But, with winter upon us the night temperature can easily drop below 60 degrees Fahrenheit. As a cautious parent, you are probably thinking a muslin swaddle blanket is not warm enough for your baby. You are probably right because muslin blankets are designed for hot and humid environments to help cool your baby. Here are some things you can do to make sure your baby is adequately kept warm in their swaddle blanket –
- Turn on the room heater for the baby’s room and keep it nicely warmed around 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Instead of using a single muslin swaddle blanket, I’ve seen parents use 2 muslin blankets at a time to further insulate their baby from the winter cold. But you can always use more muslin blankets until the baby is warm enough.
- Mix and match a muslin swaddle blanket with another thicker cotton swaddle blanket or fleece swaddle blankets.
- Switch to the pouch swaddle blankets by SwaddleMe, Miracle Blanket, and Halo. These items are great because after I swaddle my baby in a muslin fabric, I can further cover them in one of these ouch swaddle blankets. It provides another layer that I don’t have to worry about my baby kicking off in the middle of the night.
- Go away from the swaddle blanket if your baby is old enough and start using sleepsacks to help keep them warm. There are plenty of thick and warm sacks from Halo or Merino Kids that are great and comfortable for any baby to sleep in.
During the winter, parents can sometime cover their babies with so much insulation that they can actually get too hot. Here are some signs you need to look for to make sure you are not overheating your baby.
- Check for redness in his face.
- Check for sweat on his forehead and hair.
- Check for wet and damp clothing that is un-related to a leaky diaper. Usually the spots that I look for is the back of the clothes around the shoulder area.
- Increase fussiness during the night because he or she is uncomfortable.
Muslin swaddle blankets are great for hot and humid days, but during this winter season, parents should look at alternatives for better options in keeping their little ones warm and comfortable during those cold nights.
Posted in Uncategorized
- Tagged baby, best, child, cold, infant, muslin, newborn, swaddle blankets, swaddling blankets, thin, warm, winter
If you are thinking about making your own muslin swaddle blankets, then a good source for getting the material is Fabric.com
Fabric.com have a generic white colors for $4.49 per yard, which is a pretty good deal.
Let me know if anyone else finds a better deal.
Swaddle blankets are made of lightweight fabric like cotton muslin that is wonderful for helping to regulate an infant’s body temperature in contrast to thicker baby blankets on the market. Since cotton muslin uses a smaller weave pattern, it also allows for a much better stretch in the fabric to obtain that additional secure swaddle. Swaddle blankets are also often large (ie. 47”x47”). So with extra size and fabric you can properly wrap up your baby.
The short answer is a big potential,”YES.” If swaddling is not done properly, then parents could be causing the femur socket not being aligned with the hip. The result is what pediatricians call Hip Dysplasia. This happens when the newborn’s legs are swaddle so tightly that they are straight and are not free to move around like frogs. Continue restriction of the legs will gradual cause the femur socket to be out of place.
So, parents need to practice proper swaddling. One easy way is to get swaddle sleepsacks that has innovative swaddling designs that allows newborns to move their legs freely, while keeping them in a nice swaddle position around the upper body. New parents should definitely give this a try.
First of all, swaddling lower the possibility of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) because swaddling helps infants sleep in the supine position. But, the benefits don’t stop there. Moms already witness the 2nd benefit when they first held their swaddle baby.
As I replay thru the video highlights of my son’s birth, it’s simple to observe he was disturbed and distressed coming into the world. He was yelling his poor lungs out and did not yield at all as the doctors checked him. His howling stopped only after he was swaddle. The baby had hibernated in the mother’s womb for almost 9 months (mine stayed in there for only 34 weeks, 6 days) and had grew accustom to it. The infant does not weep or shed any tears in the womb because it’s sheltered in its very own utopia. The swaddling will assist in re-creating this awesome period in his existence. Where he remembers he has not a thing to fret about. In the womb, he is provided for, kept warm, and shielded by the mom. A swaddle blanket will fix two of those worries.
First, newborns are not use to the freezing environment when they enter in the world. The body system temperature averages 37 degrees Celsius and he comes into a world that averages 23 degrees Celcius. Additionally, newborn ordinarily don’t have much body fat for insulation and this is especially true for premature babies. A tight swaddle around the newborn will help protect the baby and keep him cozy as he enters a cold earth.
Happy Swaddle baby
Second, the wrap will act like a shield to support decrease not familiar hands from roughing him up. The swaddle blanket will keep bacteria away from the baby’s body. After arriving home, folks might come and stop by to visit the little one. Having him wrapped in a clean blanket will help keep bacteria off his skin. The swaddle blanket then should be regularly swapped out and cleaned to lessen the likeliness of microbes developing up. The most visible benefit for parents is experiencing the babe scream significantly less when he is swaddle. As the surroundings of the womb is re-created, the newborn will recall the good times and will calm down from their perturbed states.
The most visible benefit for parents is experiencing less screaming after he is swaddle. As the surroundings of the womb is re-created, the newborn will recall the good times and will calm him down.